5 Harmful Toxins In Your Everyday Products

0
243
Paintbrush

As a nation, we’re all starting to take better care of ourselves. We’re now very conscious of our diet and exercise routines. We’re more in tune with our bodies, and we know how to check for cancers and other conditions. However, you can’t prepare for every illness, and some things are triggered by everyday, household items. Scientists have drawn links between all sorts of common products and devastating illnesses. Now, our aim here isn’t to scare you. It’s simply to raise awareness of the potential dangers, and help you avoid the most serious consequences. Let’s take a look at some of the most harmful toxins in our everyday products.

Paintbrush

  1. Mercury in dental fillings

For a long time, mercury was an essential dental material. In fact, in many places it is still widely used. In small doses, mercury is relatively safe. However, when there is a high concentration of mercury in the body, it can cause trouble. It leads to organ damage, and it even has an effect on the nervous system. Luckily, it’s now easier than ever to find safe mercury removal services. If you’re worried that the mercury has been used in your dental treatments, seek advice on removing it.

  1. Chemicals in pesticides

We all know that pesticides have harmful toxins inside. Their sole purpose is to kill living organisms, after all! They come with plenty of warning stickers and careful advice on the side. Used carefully, they’re relatively harmless to humans. Just be sure to keep it away from your eyes and avoid direct contact with skin. The trouble comes when pesticides infiltrate the water table, and leak into rivers and ecosystems.

  1. Formaldehyde in processed wood

Formaldehyde is a dangerous chemical that is used heavily in building materials. Much like asbestos (which we’ll look at in a second), its dangers weren’t revealed until it is was in wide supply. It’s a flammable chemical that has been linked to cancer and other health conditions. It is most commonly found in processed wood, where it was used as a natural resin. It was also used in homes to provide additional insulation.

  1. Lead in paint

It took a long time for scientists to link lead to its various health problems. It was used heavily in children’s toys and products back in the early 20th century. Unfortunately, lead poisoning has a number of strange effects on the human body. It can cause alterations to personality through mood swings and mental shifts. It can also enter the bloodstream and cause damage. Most products are now free from lead, but some paints do still contain the harmful substance. Try to avoid this product where possible.

  1. Asbestos in buildings

Asbestos is one of the best-known toxins in existence today. It was used heavily by builders for its fire resistant and insulation properties. However, it also has harmful respiratory consequences. The fibres can trigger asthma and other lung trouble. At its worse, asbestos has been linked to cancer.

It’s impossible to protect ourselves from every danger around us. But, it pays to know what’s out there. Take care, and stay safe!

NO COMMENTS